Suizenji-koen Park imitated the beautiful scenery of Japan, is a refined circular garden of Momoyama eriod style and represents
the 53 Stations of the Tokaido Road including Mt. Fuji.
The fresh springs in the garden release clean, cold water, which flows there from Mt. Aso via underground currents.
In 1636, Tadatoshi, the third Lord of Hosokawa, began its construction as a tea retreat, and he also built the temple here for Priest Gentaku called Suizenji.
and fifth Lords.
In all it took about 80 years to complete.