Japan KYUSHU Tourist  ジャパン九州ツーリスト株式会社

We are a specialist of Fukuoka and Kyushu tour

日本人のお客様の団体旅行と外国人のお客様のカスタマイズ旅行の専門会社です

TEL 093-521-8897
FAX 093-521-8898
E-mail

Sotome area Hidden Christian Site

 

Hidden Christian Sites has been registered on the UNESCO World Heritage

 

Sotome area Hidden Christian Site

The mission base of de Rotz, who dedicated himself to assisting the needy

 

When he discovered the underground Christians, Petitjean realized that there were many other

Christians hiding in the Sotome region.

He appointed de Rotz as the parish priest of the Shitsu and Kurosaki districts.

On an elevation commanding a view over the Sea of Goto, he established a church at his own expense.

The building was extended and renovated again and again. A statue of Mary that he ordered from France is standing in the bell tower.

Around Sotome area

Michino-eki, Road Station

Endo Shusaku Literary Museum

Fishing harbor

 

 

General information

Address Shitsu, Nagasaki-city
Access 50 minutes by a vehicle from JR Nagasaki Station

 


 

Oura Cathedral

 

Basilica of Martyrdom of the 26 Saints of Japan

 

Registered on UNESCO’s World Heritage as Hidden Christian site

 

One of the famous landmarks in Nagasaki-city, was built in 1865 under the supervision of 

the French priest Bernard Petitjean.

It was designated as a National Treasure in 1933 for its value as Japan’s oldest Gothic-style

Cathedral.

 

Entrance gate of Oura Cathedral

1,000 yen admission fee

Japan’s oldest Gothic-style

Cathedral building

Windows of Cathedral building

 

“On March 17, 1865, a group of peasants from Urakami came to the church and professed

their faith to Father Petitjean, thus revealing that Christianity had survived through the 

centuries of persecution.

The white marble statue of the Holy Mother at the entrance was built in commemoration of

the dramatic discovery of the “Hidden Christians.

 

Former Latin Seminario

Nagasaki

Statue of Mary, at entrance of

Cathedral, installed in 1867

Statue of Pope John Paul II,

visited here in 1981

 


 

General information

Address 5-3 Minamiyamate, Nagasaki-city
Access

10 minutes walk from Oura tensyudo-mae tram station

Open hours 8:00 to 17:45
Admission fee JPY 1,000
Days closed No closing days

 

 

Glover Garden

 

Glover Garden is located on Minami-Yamate hill in Nagasaki-city, Glover Garden has nine

Western style buildings including the Glover’s Residence built in 1863 by Japanese carpenter

Koyama Hidenoshin. The Glover Residence is Japan’s oldest wooden Western-style building

and is the UNESCO Wlorld Heritage registered in 2015 as Meiji Japan’s Industrial Revolution Site.

 

Tomas Glover Residence,

World Heritage

Former Mitsubishi second

dock house

Overlooking of Nagasaki

harbour

Glover’s arms-importing operations played an important part in the Meiji Restoration, he built the 
first train line in Japan and he even helped establish the first modern Mitsubishi ship yard.

 

Inside of the residence

Nagasaki harbor view from Glover Gargen

Venus Bridge

Mitsubishi Heavey Industries,

repair dock

Giant Cantilever Crane,

World Heritage


 

Golver Residence is generally believed to have been the scene of Puccini’s opera, Madame Butterfly.

Inside the park is the life-size statue of the famous opera singer, Tamaki Miura, who received

international acclaim for her performance as Cho-Cho-san in Madam Butterfly.

 

 


 

General information

Address 8-1 Minamiyamate-machi, Nagasaki-city
Access

10 minutes walk from Oura tensyudo-mae tram station

through in front of Oura Cathedral

Open hours 8:00 to 18:00, until 21:00 in summer time and peak season
Admission fee JPY 610
Days closed No closing days

 

 

Nagasaki Wharf

 

Elegant international & domestic tourist harbour

 

Made up of around 20 unique shops and restaurants lined up at the water front, offering

various choices such Japanese, Western, and Italian cuisine, to beauty salons, outdoor

shops and more. It is quite the popular spot for people who want to relax while viewing the

sea beyond as they dine outdoors.

Restaurants lined up at the

water front

Featured typical Japanese

Restaurant

Viewing the Nagasaki Port


 

Nagasaki Harbour

Located in the center of East Asia and is surrounded by the beautiful green mountains.

The city has flourished due to foreign trade through the port.

Over view

Venus Bridge

Mount Inasa from Nagasaki Port

Now the port is home to Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, which has one of Japan’s largest

shipbuilding facilities.

Not only ships but also many industrial goods such as wind and thermal generators are

manufactured and exported from Nagasaki. Recently, the port was changed by the

appearance of a beautiful park and Venus Bridge or the long cable-stay bridge.

 

Mitsubishi Heavey Industries

Repair dock

Giant Cantilever Crane,

World Heritage

The port facilities will be further improved as a major gateway with a long tradition of

international exchange and together with a geographically advantageous location.

 


 

General information

Address 1-1 Dejima-machi, Nagasaki-city
Access

a short walk from Dejima Tram Station

a short walk from Tsuki-machi Tram Station

15 minutes walk from JR Nagasaki Station 


 

Nagasaki-city

 

Fascinating and distinctive Cultures created from many different

historical features

 

Nagasaki became a center of Dutch, Portuguese and other European influences in the

16th century and flourished as a trading port & center of Christian missionary activities.

Now, Hidden Christian Sites in Nagasaki region has been registered on the UNESCO

World Heritage.

The detonation for an atomic bomb over Nagasaki during the Second World War is a dark

page in the cities turbulent history. 

 

At the present, however the city has become a center of peace, blessed with beautiful

natural scenery and eclectic mix of historical sites and architecture. 


 

Where to Explore

 

Glover Garden   / UNESCO World Heritage

Located on Minami-Yamate hill in Nagasaki-city, Glover Garden has nine

Western style buildings including the Glover’s Residence built in 1863 by Japanese carpenter

Koyama Hidenoshin. The Glover Residence is Japan’s oldest wooden Western-style building

and is the UNESCO World Heritage registered in 2015 as Meiji Japan’s Industrial Revolution Site.

 

Tomas Glover Residence,

World Heritage

Former Mitsubishi second

dock house

Overlooking of Nagasaki

harbour


 

Peace Park

Established in 1955 near the Ground Zero where the Atomic Bomb was dropped 

at 11:02 am on Aug. 09, 1945.

Peace Memorial Ceremony is held in front of the statue on August 9 every year and

the Mayor of Nagasaki makes the “Nagasaki peace declaration” for the whole world.

Peace Statue

Completed in 1955, ten years

after the atomic bombing

Peace Fountain

Reminds the tragic scene unfolded shortly after the

dropped Atomic Bomb

Ground Zero

The Atomic bomb exploded

about 500m over the central monument               


 

World Heritage : Hidden Christian Site

 

Oura Cathedral  / UNESCO World Heritage

Basilica of Martyrdom of the 26 Saints of Japan.     

One of the famous landmarks in Nagasaki-city, was built in 1865 under the supervision of 

the French priest Bernard Petitjean. It was designated as a National Treasure in 1933 for

its value as Japan’s oldest Gothic-style cathedral.

Entrance gate of Oura

Cathedral

Japan’s oldest Gothic-style

Cathedral building

Statue of Mary, at entrance of

Cathedral, installed in 1867


 

Martyrdom of the 26 Saints of Japan     

On February 5, 1597, Paulo Miki and 25 others were crucified for their belief in God on order of

Toyotomi Hideyoshi. The martyrs including four Spaniards, one from Goa, India, one Mexican and 

20 Japanese demonstrated their spiritual unity despite differences in races, ages and professions.

Nishizaka hill, the site of

Martyrdom in 1597

The martyrs said that 

” All people, bless God ”  

The 26 Japanese martyrs have 

been canonized in 1862


 

Sotome area Hidden Christian Site   / UNESCO World Heritage     

When he discovered the underground Christians, Petitjean realized that there were many other

Christians hiding in the Sotome region.

He appointed de Rotz as the parish priest of the Shitsu and Kurosaki districts   

             Shitsu Church

     Former Shitsu Aid Centre

        The statue of Mary


 

Featured destinations

 

Mount Inasa

 

World’s three great night veiw 

can be seen from the summit        

Magane-bashi bridge

The oldest stone arch bridge

in Japan       

Kazagashira Park

Magnificent view of Nagasaki,

on the other side of Mt. Inasa


 

Dejima

Only the trading port in Japan

 during Natinal isolation              

Urakami Cathedral

Newly constructed church, after destroyed by Atomic bomb

Sofukuji temple 

The first Chinese style temple

in Nagasaki


 

China town

One of the three big China

 town in Japan 

Confucius Shrine

 

The world’s only Confucian

shrine built outside China by

Chinese hands

Suwa Shrine

The spiritual and cultural hub

for the citizens of Nagasaki

 


 

 

Nagaaski Wharf

Elegant international & domestic

tourist harbour

Kofukuji Temple

A Chinese temple to pray for

safe navigation 

 Nagasaki Pearl

Nagasaki-prefecture is the

birthplace of pearls

 


 

                Location of Nagasaki-city

   

 

 


 

General information

Address City hall : 2-22 Sakura-machi, Nagasaki-city, Nagasaki-prefecture
Access

2 hours by car using Highway from Fukuoka-city

120 minutes by JR express train from JR Hakata Station

Transportation  
Population 418,000   Population density 1,030

 


 

 

Kofukuji Temple

 

After the Tokugawa Shogunate banned Christianity, non-Christian Chinese merchants 

began making port at Nagasaki around 1600.

Chinese people soon started living in Nagasaki and etitioned the Nagasaki government 

to let them built a Chinese temple to pray for safe navigation and console of the deceased.

Permission was granted for the construction of first Chinese temple.

 

Kofukuji Temple was completed in 1620, and Chinese traders then planned to invite a

high-ranking priest from China as the temple’s chief abbot.

 

The Kofukuji Temple’s present main hall was built in 1883 by Chinese experts who

were invited to Japan mainly by residents in Nagasaki hailing from Nanjin.

It was designated as an Important Cultural Asset.

 


 

Suwa Shrine

 

The spiritual and cultural hub for the citizens of Nagasaki

 

The complex of building and gardens comprising Suwa Shrine nestles on a shaded stretch of

hillside overlooking the heart of Nagasaki-city. The shrine was founded in the wake of ban

of Christianity in the early 17th century, and during the Edo Period it soon grew into a

spiritual and cultural hub for the citizens of Nagasaki. 

 

During Meiji and Taisho Periods, it was not only Nagasaki’s foremost Shinto shrine but also

this city’s most popular destination for foreign tourist who came seeking a glimpse into heart

of Japan.

 


 

Kunchi festival

Held from October 7 to 9 every year and is considered one of the three major festivals of

Japan, being designated as an Important Intangible Cultural Asset.

 

Confucius Shrine

 

The world’s only Confucian shrine built outside China by Chinese hands

 

First built in 1893 by Chinese residents of Nagasaki with the support of the Ch’ing 

Dynasty government, the shrine was designed to serve as a place of worship and 

learning for the Chinese community, and housed a Confucian sanctuary and primary school. 

The buildings were severely damaged by the Atomic bomb explosion on August 9, 1945 and were

not restored and opened to the public until September 1967.
The shrine was extensively renovated in 1982. 

Standing outside the shrine are 72 statues representing the 72 followers of Confucius

 

A building at the rear of the shrine houses the Museum of Chinese History and Palace Museum.

It features large illuminated photographs of the old Silk Road and models of 

early Chinese inventions such as the world’s first seismograph. 

 

Displayed on the second floor are more than 80 treasure-class articles of varying antiquity on loan directly from the Chinese National Museum and Palace Museum in Beijing.

 


 

General information

Address 10-30 Oura-machi, Nagasaki-city
Access

5 minutes walk from Oura-kaigan-dori Tram Station  or

3 minutes walk from Oura Tenshudo Tram Station

Open hours 9:30 to 18:00
Admission fee JPY 600
Days closed No closing days

 

Sofukuji Temple

 

The first Chinese style temple in Nagasaki


Shortly after the construction of Kofukuji Temple, Chinese traders asked the Nagasaki 

governor for permission to built Chinese temples according to their home provinces.

 

 

It is recorded that this temple was built in 1629 by people who came from Fuzhou in Fujian Province.

It is designated as a National Treasure.

The existing main hall ( called Daiyuhoden ) was first prefabricated in China, then transported by

Chinese ship and constructed in 1646.

 

As the oldest existing structure to retain the Obaku style of the end of the Ming Dynasty, the

temple’s hall is highly evaluated.

 

 

Urakami Cathedral

 

Construction of the original Urakami Cathedral, a brick Romanesque building, began in 1895,

after a long-standing ban on Christianity was lifted.

When completed in 1914, it was the largest Catholic church in East Asia.

 

The atomic bomb dropped on August 9, 1945 explored in Urakami, only 500m from the

cathedral, which was completely destroyed. What remained of the cathedral is now on display 

in the Atomic Bomb Museum.

A replacement was built in 1959, and remodeled to more closely resemble the original in 1980.

 


 


 

The nearby the Ground Zero in Nagasaki Peace Park contains remnants of the Ruins of Urakami Cathedral

 

 


 

General information

Address 1-79 Motoo-machi, Nagasaki-city
Access

8 minuts walk from Heiwa koen Tram Station 

Open hours

9:00 to 17:00

Admission fee No fee is required, please donate to the donation box
Days closed No closing days