Registered on UNESCE World Heritage as Hidden Christian site
A Gothic-looking church is located on a cove of a fishing village. In 1934, a French priest
Augustin Halbout MEP purchased the premises of the former village headman and built a
wooden and concrete finished church, with Tetsukawa Yosuke’s design and construction.
He placed the altar at the very site where fumie or a test to ensure non-allegiance to
Christianity had been conducted.
|Address||539 SAkitsu Kawazu-cho, Amakusa-city, Kumamoto-prefecture|
2 hours 40 minutes from Kumamoto-city
45 minutes from Amakusa Airport
9:00 to 17:00
|Admission fee||No fee is required|
|Days closed||No closing days|