Japan KYUSHU Tourist  ジャパン九州ツーリスト株式会社

We are the specialist’s for travel and tours in Kyushu, Japan
warmly welcoming customers from all over the world.

九州を旅行する日本人をはじめとする、世界中の人たちの旅行会社です

TEL +81 93-521-8897
FAX +81 93-521-8898
E-mail

Nagasaki UNESCO World Heritage / Industrial Revolution

                                                                                                                                           HOME 

 

The origin of Japan’s modernization is here. Under the growing sense of crisis over a foreign

menace, Nagasaki supported the introduction of Western countries technology, which started

during the last years of Japan’s National isolation period. With “ Dejima ” as the only window

to West during the period of National isolation. Nagasaki has contributed to Japan’s modernization

by serving as a place to acquire knowledge from oversea.

Nagasaki contributed for Shipbuilding and Coal Mining and 7 sites have been

registered on the UNESCO World Heritage, Sites of Japan’s Meiji Industrial Revolution.

 


 

Glover House  

Located on Minami-Yamate hill in Nagasaki-city, Glover Garden has nine Western style buildings

including the Glover’s Residence built in 1863 by Japanese carpenter Koyama Hidenoshin. The 

Glover Residence is Japan’s oldest wooden Western-style building.

 


 

Former Pattern Shop / Shipyard History Museum

The Former Pattern Shop was built in 1898 to produce wooden patterns for castings and is the

oldest factory building in the shipyard. It is a two-storied brick building with a timber roof truss.

There is a U-shaped rail on the ceiling to transport materials. The building was refurbished to the

Shipyard History Museum in 1985 and is open to the public.

 


 

Giant Cantilever Crane

The Giant Cantilever Crane is the first electric-powered crane of its type in Japan, imported from

Scotland in 1909, which is the oldest surviving one in operation in the world. It can still lift a load

of 150 tons and is used to ship heavy goods.

 


 

Hashima Coal Mine  /  Gunkan-jima island

Hashima coal mining island is an artificial reclaimed island and the site of Japan’s first major

undersea coal exploitation (1890) pioneered by Mitsubishi – and host to one of the world’s

most extraordinary former mining communities. Hashima Island is located 3 km southwest of

Takashima, and it was the success of Takashima that led Mitsubishi to purchase this island – both

islands giving access to the same undersea coal deposit. Now Hashima is a ruin called “Gunkanjima”,

so called after its resemblance to the silhouette of a battleship.

 


 

Location of Nagasaki-city

 

  

 

 


 

Home  Tailor-made tours Study tours Christian Pilgrimage tours Golf tour Kyushu tour packages

 


 

Former Pattern Shop / Shipyard History Museum

                                                                                                                                            HOME 

 

The Former Pattern Shop has been registered on UNESCO World Heritage

as Sites of Japan’s Meiji Industrial Revolution.  The Former Pattern Shop was built in

1898 to produce wooden patterns for castings and is the oldest factory building in the

shipyard. It is a two-storied brick building with a timber roof truss. There is a U-shaped

rail on the ceiling to transport materials. The building was refurbished to the Shipyard

History Museum in 1985 and is open to the public.

 


 


 

Location of Nagasaki-city

 

  

 


 

General information  

Address 1-1 Akunoura-machi, Nagaaki-city, Nagasaki-prefecture
Access

15 minutes by a vehicle from JR Nagasaki station

Open hours 9:00 to 16:30  advance reservation is required
Admission fee JPY 800
Days closed Second Saturday
 

 


 

Home  Tailor-made tours Study tours Christian Pilgrimage tours Golf tour Kyushu tour packages

 


 

Kitakyushu UNESCO World Heritage / Industrial Revolution

                                                                                                                                            HOME 

 

World Heritage, Site of Japan’s Meiji Industrial Revolution. The four sites of Yawata Steel

Works in Kitakyushu area have been inscribed as Iron and Steel Industry. Iron and Steel,

Shipbuilding, and Coal Mining, are a grouping of historic sites that played an important part

 in the industrialization of Japan in the Bakumatsu and Meiji periods.


History of Industrial Revolution  

The buildings of the Imperial Steel Works, Japan at Yawata Works are the surviving components

of Asia’s first successful integrated iron and steel works: the State-run Imperial Steel Works opened 

in 1901. It is located in the northernmost part of Fukuoka Prefecture, the north end of Kyushu, 8 km

south of Hibiki-Nada Seashore close to the continent of ChinaTheir present-day setting is still a

working industrial landscape set in the south-eastern section of Yawata Works which, for over a

century, has consistently maintained a leading role in the Japanese steel industry.

 

Japan’s Steel Industry

  Kawachi Reservoir

  Higashida No.1 Blast Furnace


 

World Heritage Sites  

 

First Head Office of the Steel Works 

Built in 1899, ahead of production facilities. It is an architectural fusion of Japanese and European 

design, a two story red brick building with bilateral symmetry and a central dome set in a Japanese 

tile roof.

 

World leading rails produced

in the Steel Works

First Head Office building

 

Observation deck of the

World Heritage


 

Onga River Pump Station

Built in 1910 on the east bank of the Onga River. It served, and still serves, to deliver industrial water

to Yawata via an 11.4 km pipeline. This supply is integral to the steel production process and was

necessary to cope with the 1st phase expansion of the Imperial Steel Works.

 

Onga River

Onga River Pump Station

Water piping to the Steel Works


 

General information 

Address Higasida, Yahata-higasiku, Kitakyushu-city, Fukuoka-prefecture
Access

20 minutes by a vehicle from JR Kokura Station

70 minutes by a vehicle from Fukuoka-city

110 minutes by a vehicle from Beppu

Industrial Heritages in Kitakyushu

                                                                                                                                           HOME 

 

Kitakyushu-city  is the industrial innovation city where a lot of Japan’s Industries were born

and Japan’s industrial modernization has been achieved. The city presents various Industrial

Heritages including UNESCO World Herigate of Japan’s Meiji Industrial Revolution.

 


 

First Head Office of the Steel Works   UNESCO World Heritage

Built in 1899, ahead of production facilities. It is an architectural fusion of Japanese and

European design, a two story red brick building with bilateral symmetry and a central dome

set in a Japanese tile roof.

World leading rails producing

in the Steel Works

First Head Office building

registered on the World Heritage

Observation deck of the

World Heritage


 

Onga River Pump Station, UNESCO World Heritage

Built in 1910 on the east bank of the Onga River. It served, and still serves, to deliver industrial

water to Yawata via an 11.4 km pipeline. This supply is integral to the steel production process

and was necessary to cope with the 1st phase expansion of the Imperial Steel Works.

 Onga River

 Onga River Pump Station

 Water piping to the Steel Works


 

Kawachi Reservoir 

The first-class civil construction heritage that triggered the registration of World Cultural Heritage of

Meiji Japan’s Industrial Revolution.Th e Kawachi Reservoir was constructed for the industrial water

supply to Yawata Steel Works


 

Minami Kawachi-bashi bridge

The only remaining lenticular truss bridge in Japan or lens type truss bridge, located at the south
side of Kawachi Reservoir and it was designed by Hisanori Numata.  This shape and colour really
harmonize with nature and become a symbol of the Iron town Yahata.

 

Higashida No.1 Blast Furnace

The Blast Furnace used to make the pig iron and was where Japan’s steel industry began in 1901.

It contributed greatly to the development of the Japanese steel industry and was used until 1972,

and has been preserved just as it was.

Indication of the year of Steel

Works operation commencement

Proper of Blast furnace, Hot

Stoves and Stack

Cast house floor, the pig iron

is being discharged


 

Dedicated railway for Yawata Steel Works 

Connected between Yawata and Tobata.  Construction work took three years, and completed in

1930. The most difficult and hard work was making Miyatayama tunnel with a total length of 1180m

due to suffering from floods. The gates of the Miyatayama tunnel are decorated with stately designs.

The rail way crossing the road

Miyatayama tunnel Yahata side

Miyatayama tunnel Tobata side


 

The western-style building of Art Deco style architecture which was completed in 1927, and opened
as an employee club of the then-owned Yawata Steel Works. The Hall building received the
Kitakyushu City Architectural Culture Award in 1989. 

 


 

Contact us   

Should you need further information please feel free to contact us.

Your equiry can be sent by selecting the Enquiry Form link below.

Enquiry Form 

You can also contact us by e-mail at info@japan-kyushu-tourist.com

And we would love to chat about your travel plans on the phone as well,

please ring our office a call in English    Tel : +81-93-521-8897

 


 

 HOME    About us   Our Services    Terms and Conditions