The world’s only Confucian shrine built outside China by Chinese hands. First built in 1893
by Chinese residents of Nagasaki with the support of the Ch’ing Dynasty government, the
shrine was designed to serve as a place of worship and learning for the Chinese community,
and housed a Confucian sanctuary and primary school.
The buildings were severely damaged by the Atomic bomb explosion on August 9, 1945 and
were not restored and opened to the public until September 1967. The shrine was extensively
renovated in 1982. Standing outside the shrine are 72 statues representing the 72 followers
A building at the rear of the shrine houses the Museum of Chinese History and Palace Museum.
It features large illuminated photographs of the old Silk Road and models of early Chinese
inventions such as the world’s first seismograph. Displayed on the second floor are more than
80 treasure-class articles of varying antiquity on loan directly from the Chinese National Museum
and Palace Museum in Beijing.
|Address||10-30 Oura-machi, Nagasaki-city|
5 minutes walk from Oura-kaigan-dori Tram Station or
3 minutes walk from Oura Tenshudo Tram Station
|Open hours||9:30 to 18:00|
|Admission fee||JPY 600|
|Days closed||No closing days|