Hinoe Castle Ruins
During the period of the Southern and Northern Courts (1337-92), the Arima family ruling
the Shimabara Peninsula constructed a castle named Hinoe-jo. The 14th lord, Harunobu
(1567-1612) was a Christian daimyo and refurbished his castle into a large scale which had
gardens, a tea arbor and many rooms.
There remain stone walls around the site of the front gate. A recent survey reveals that the
construction materials including the stone steps were diverted from tombstones in Buddhist
grave-yards which the lord had demolished. The fact indicates the religious situation in those
days when Christianity was flourishing. In 1982, the location of the ruined castle was
designated as a National Historic Site.