Site of Dazaifu Government Office
Government site of Ancient Kyushu
Known as TOFURO, the site was used during the Nara (710 to 794 AD) and
Heian (794 to 1185 AD) period.
The Dazaifu was responsible for supervising Japan’s maritime frontier, as well as for administering
the nine provinces and two island of the Saikaido (modern Kyushu).
In those days, a great edifice with vermillion columns and tiled roof stood at the foot of Mt. Ono, but
today all that remains is a park containing the huge foundation stones of the original building.
|Address||4-6-1 Kanzeonji, Dazaifu-city, Fukuoka-prefecture|
20 minutes walk from Nnishitetsu Dazaifu station
30 minutes by a vehicle from Fukuoka Airport
30 minutes by a vehicle from JR Hakata station