Nagasaki Peace Park
Nagasaki Peace Park was established in 1955 near the Ground Zero where the Atomic
Bomb was dropped at 11:02 am on Aug. 09, 1945.
Part of the concrete wall of the Nagasaki prison, which was located here prior to the bombing,
can still be seen. At the park’s north end is the 10-metre-tall Peace Statue.
The statue’s right hand points to the threat of nuclear weapons while the extended left hand
symbolizes eternal peace. Every year, on August 9, the anniversary of the atomic bombing,
a Peace Memorial Ceremony is held in front of the statue and the Mayor of Nagasaki delivers
a peace declaration to the World.
The Peace Fountain reminds us of the tragic scene unfolded shortly after America dropped the
Atomic Bomb on Nagasaki at 11:02 am on Aug. 09, 1945
The plutonium atomic bomb exploded about 500m over the central monument at 11:02 a.m.
on August 9, 1945. The most part of Nagasaki was destroyed, and a tremendous number of
lives were lost. And about 70,000 of Nagasaki’s 240,000 residents died instantly, and up to 60,000
The museum exhibits a number of photograph that depict the devastation caused by atomic bomb
showing the lead-up to this tragic day, the history of the development of nuclear arms and our
desire for peace.