We are a specialist of Fukuoka and Kyushu tour
After the Tokugawa Shogunate banned Christianity, non-Christian Chinese
merchants began making port at Nagasaki around 1600.
Chinese people soon started living in Nagasaki and etitioned the Nagasaki
government to let them built a Chinese temple to pray for safe navigation
and console of the deceased. Permission was granted for the construction of
first Chinese temple.
Kofukuji Temple was completed in 1620, and Chinese traders then planned to invite
a high-ranking priest from China as the temple’s chief abbot.
The Kofukuji Temple’s present main hall was built in 1883 by Chinese experts
who were invited to Japan mainly by residents in Nagasaki hailing from Nanjin.
It was designated as an Important Cultural Asset.