Amakusa, is located in a southern part of Kumamoto, and consists of Shimo-jima,Kami-jima
and many other islands varied in size, which belong to Unzen-Amakusa National Park
along with Unzen.
It provides ideal spots for viewing the saw-toothed coast line of Amakusa and
the small islands scattered across the sea.
Amakusa has the World Heritages of Hidden Christian Sites.
Amakusa Gokyo or Amakusa five bridges, is a general term for five bridges which connects from
Misumi at the Udo peninsula to the Oyano island, the Nagaura island, Ikejima, Maejima, and Amakusa Kamishima, was built in 1966. The area on the National road route 266 called as the Pearl Line.
Connecting the islands of Amakusa with the inland of Kumamoto via the Uto Peninsula are
Amakusa Gokyo or Amakusa Five Bridge. You can enjoy the beautiful scenery of Amakusa
from the sea on a cruise.
World Heritage of Hidden Chrisrian Sites and related site
Oe Cathedral / World Heritage
The oldest Catholic Church in Amakusa and was one of the first churches built right after the ban
on Christianity was lifted. The and Romanesque-style architecture and the chalky white structure
was rebuilt in 1933 by a French missionary priest named Father Garnier using his own money and
contributions from local Christians living in the area.
Sakitsu Village / World Heritage
A Gothic-looking church is located on a cove of a fishing village. In 1934, a French priest
Augustin Halbout MEP purchased the premises of the former village headman and built a
wooden and concrete finished church, with Tetsukawa Yosuke’s design and construction.
He placed the altar at the very site where fumie or a test to ensure non-allegiance to
Christianity had been conducted.
The theme Museum shows History of Christianity in Amakusa and Shimabara Rebellion
which was a peasant uprising agaist bakufu’s persecution of Christians under the leadership
of Amakusa Shiro in 1637.
Tomioka Castle was built in 1602, one year after Terasawa Shimanokami hirotaka came to Amakusa.
Although Amakusa ruled by proxy for Terasawa from Tomioka Castle, he revelled with his army in
the Shimabara Rebellion in 1637. After the rebellion, Yamasaki Kainokami Ieharu ruled from the castle,
and which was restored and enlarged to its present form.
Sengan moutain Observatory
Ariage Octopus Street
Oppai Stone or breast stone
Location of Amakusa
35 minutes from Fukuoka airport to Amakusa airport
25 minutes from Kumamoto airport to Amakusa airport
45 minutes from Mogi port in Nagasaki to Takaoka port
30 minutes from Kuchinotsu port in Minami-Shimabara to Oniike port
|bY JR||40 minutes from Kumamoto Station to Misumi Station|
60 minutes to Misumi
70 minutes to Oyano
85 minutes to Matsushima
100 minutes to Ariake
125 minutes to Hondo
180 minuted to Shimoda Onsen
200 minutes to Oe