The Shrine of Karatsu Kunchi
It is a Shinto shrine located about 1 km west of Karatsu Castle and the original shrine was
founded in 755.
In 1819, a man dedicated a beautiful and large papier-mache red lion statue to this shrine.
He traveled Ise Shrine, visit Kyoto on the way home, and saw Gion Festival. And he impressed
by the sight of beautiful floats, so he and his friends created such statue.
The statue was paraded at the annual festival of this shrine, and it has developed into the
festival “Karatsu Kunchi”.
From November 2nd to 4th, Karatsu Kunchi is held every year.
|Address||3-13 Minami-jonai, Karatsu-city, Saga-prefecture|
120 minutes by a vehicle from Kitakyushu-city
60 minutes by a vehicle from Fukuoka-city
5 minutes by a vehicle from JR Karatsu station
30 minutes by a vehicle from Yobuko
60 minutes by a vehicle from Saga-city
60 minutes by a vehicle from Takeo-city
50 minutes by a vehicle from Arita
100 minutes by a vehicle from Nagasaki-city