Shimabara Castle, is located in Shimabara-city and was built in 1625 by the feudal load Matsukura Shigemasa, who was regarded as a master of castle building.
The castle, which took 7 years to complete, is also known as “Moritake Castle”.
It was an almost rectangular flatland castle built in the Renkaku-style.
Also, it was a superb example of a castle where three layered yagura turrets were placed at strategic points around the five-layered donjon which was influenced by the architectural style of the
Through it was demolished in 1874 during Meiji Restoration, west turret called “Nishi-no-yagura” was
first restored in 1960 and the donjon was restored in 1964.
In the castle, the Christianity Museum has been established. Many Christian historical materials,
local collection, and ethnic collections are exhibited in the museum.
View from the Castle tower
|Address||1-1183-1 Jonai Shimabara-city, Nagasaki-prefecture|
80 minutes by vehicle from Nagasaki Airport
100 minutes by behicle from Nagasaki-city
10 minutes walk from Shimatetsu Shimabara Station
|Open hours||9:00 to 17:30|
|Admission fee||JPY 540 to enter the Castle tower|
|Days closed||December 29 and 30|