Kitakyushu UNESCO World Heritage / Industrial Revolution
World Heritage, Site of Japan’s Meiji Industrial Revolution
The four sites of Yawata Steel Works in Kitakyushu area have been inscribed
as Iron and Steel Industry.
Iron and Steel, Shipbuilding, and Coal Mining, are a grouping of historic sites
that played an important part in the industrialization of Japan in the Bakumatsu
and Meiji periods.
History of Industrial Revolution
The buildings of the Imperial Steel Works, Japan at Yawata Works are the surviving
components of Asia’s first successful integrated iron and steel works: the State-run
Imperial Steel Works opened in 1901.
It is located in the northernmost part of Fukuoka Prefecture, the north end of Kyushu, 8 km
south of Hibiki-Nada Seashore close to the continent of China.
Japan’s Steel Industry
Steel Works operation has
commenced in 1901
Triggered the registration of
World Cultural Heritage
contributed to the development
of the Japanese steel industry
Their present-day setting is still a working industrial landscape set in the southeastern
section of Yawata Works which, for over a century, has consistently maintained a leading
role in the Japanese steel industry.
World Heritage Sites
Built in 1899, ahead of production facilities.
It is an architectural fusion of Japanese and European design, a two story red brick building
with bilateral symmetry and a central dome set in a Japanese tile roof.
World leading rails producing
in the Steel Works
First Head Office building
registered on the World Heritage
Observation deck of the
Built in 1910 on the east bank of the Onga River.
It served, and still serves, to deliver industrial water to Yawata via an 11.4 km pipeline.
This supply is integral to the steel production process and was necessary to cope with the
1st phase expansion of the Imperial Steel Works.
Onga River Pump Station
Water piping to the Steel Works
Steel-framed repair workshops
Built in 1900. It was used for the fabrication and assembly of a parts and
the repair of machinery used at the Steel Works.
100 years later, is still a repair shop. The facility houses its original travelling
crane and it is still in use for maintenance work.
Former Forge Shop
Built in 1900 using designs and steel products from the German steel
manufacturer, the purpose of manufacturing forgings such as large
scaled spanners, chisels, hammers and stands for machine mounting
needed for the construction of the steelworks.
|Address||Higasida, Yahata-higasiku, Kitakyushu-city, Fukuoka-prefecture|
20 minutes by a vehicle from JR Kokura Station
70 minutes by a vehicle from Fukuoka-city
110 minutes by a vehicle from Beppu
Your equiry can be sent by selecting the Enquiry Form link below.
You can also contact us by e-mail at email@example.com
Tel : +81-93-521-8897, Fax : +81-93-521-8898
Address : AIM buiding 6th floor, 3-8-1 Asano, Kokura-kitaku, Kitakyushu-city, Fukuoka-prefecture