The church was designed by Tetsukawa Yosuke, a famous architect of various churches in
Nagasaki-prefecture, and built between December 1915 and October 1917. It is one of the
latest brick churches in the prefecture of Nagasaki. Tetsukawa Yosuke has called this one of
his best works.
The history of the Tabira district began with the work of two foreign missionaries. In 1886,
the French missionary Emile Raguet, in charge of Kuroshima Church at the time, purchased
one hectare (2.5 acres) of wilderness at his own expense and urged three families in need to
settle there. The same year, Marc-Marie de Rotz of Shitsu Church bought one hectare and
sent four families to cultivate the pristine land. Gradually the number of the settlers increased a
nd reached 80 families by the early Taisho era (1910s).
In 1914, the Japanese priest Nakata Tokichi arrived in the parish. To replace the humble prayer
house, he made tremendous efforts to raise funds for a formal church. Tetsukawa Yosuke designed
the brick building, and the parishioners cooperated in the construction project, gathering a large
number of seashells and burning them into lime powder. The site of the processing ground still
remains in front of the church. Construction was finally completed under Tetsukawa’s supervision
in 1918. The brick church was the architect’s last in a long series of ecclesiastical works.
The beautiful building facing Hirado Strait offers artists and photographers a motif typical of the Tabira
district. The church has been designated an important cultural asset by the Japanese government.
|Address||19 Kotedamen, Tabiracho, Hirado-city, Nagasaki-prefecture|
1 hours and 50 minutes by a vehicle from Nagasaki-city
50 minutes by a vehicle from Sasebo-city
2 hour and 15 minutes by a vehicle from Fukuoka-city
|Open hours||9:00 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 17:00|
|Admission fee||No fee is required|
|Days closed||No closing day|
Your equiry can be sent by selecting the Enquiry Form link below.
You can also contact us by e-mail at email@example.com
Tel : +81-93-521-8897, Fax : +81-93-521-8898
Address : AIM buiding 6th floor, 3-8-1 Asano, Kokura-kitaku, Kitakyushu-city, Fukuoka-prefecture